Oversized shirts, which are loose-fitting shirts that fall below your waistline, add volume to your outfit. These wardrobe staples can be found in many styles, including a classic button-down or an oversized shirt.
Three Tips to Style Oversized Shirts
It is important to choose the right fit for an oversized shirt.
- Look for pieces that are detailed. An oversized shirt can easily engulf your body with extra fabric. You can avoid your oversized shirt becoming overwhelming by choosing pieces that have detail. A pattern, pops of color or unique stitching give an oversized shirt a focal point, drawing attention to its design and not the excess fabric.
- Take into account the occasion. For a casual, relaxed look, choose a loose-fitting T-shirt. However, a button-up shirt is a great option for business or casual wear.
- Two sizes larger than your normal size is a good idea. Stylists recommend buying a shirt two sizes larger than your usual size when shopping for large clothing. The shirt should be loose fitting around the waist and shoulders, but a little longer than normal. The shirt sleeves should be shorter than the average mid-bicep range for an oversized T-shirt. Some oversized T-shirts may even fall below the elbow.
Oversized Daytime Shirt Outfits
These outfit ideas will help you create casual daytime looks.
- Create an athleisure look. An oversized graphic tee can be paired with a sweatshirt and fitted bike shorts. This athleisure look is a great option for those who want to exercise or lounge at home.
- French tuck shorts into a shirt. For a casual look, pair an oversized shirt and wide-leg trousers or cut-off jeans shorts. To create a relaxed French tuck look, half-tuck your oversized shirt. Finish the look with white sneakers or strappy sandals.
- Wear with heels and dress pants. For a casual business look, wear an oversized button-down shirt and dress pants with heels or loafers. To complete the look, add a blazer.
- Turn your jeans into a tuck. An easy way to style an oversized shirt with jeans is to pair it with a pair of slim-leg or straight-leg blue jeans. This balances the top and creates a relaxed look. For a monochrome, minimalist look, pair a white shirt with long sleeves and white jeans.
- As a beach coverup, wear a cotton shirt. You can style an oversized blouse over a bathing suit as a coverup. An oversized shirt, which is loose and fluid, promotes air circulation. This will keep you cool in summer heat. As a beach cover-up, you can experiment with color and pattern. You could style a bright floral blouse or a bright polka dots shirt.
Three Evening Looks for Oversized Shirts
These are three ideas for oversized shirt outfits for night out:
- Wear it as a mini-dress. An oversized button-down can be worn as a shirtdress. You can finish the look by adding wedges or ankle boots to your outfit. For a summer look, wear an oversized T-shirt and a black leather jacket with heels.
- Tuck into a midi skirt. To enhance your silhouette, pair a midi skirt that is form fitting with a large button-down shirt. This outfit highlights your lower body by pairing a loose shirt with it. A sequined skirt can be worn with a plain button-down shirt for a glamorous look. You can also pair it with a bright skirt.
- Your shirt can be worn as a jacket. You can create a casual evening look by wearing an oversized button-down shirt over a jacket. For warm weather, leave the shirt unbuttoned. Roll up the sleeves to create a lightweight jacket. A leather mini skirt with black lace crop top and a white button-down shirt make a stylish outfit for a date night.